Tuesday, August 20, 2013

 “Voicedude Goes To The Movies"

I love movies just as much as I love music. With my extended knowledge of both (let’s just say no one will play Trivial Pursuit with me), I now combine my love for the mashup genre with the long lasting visuals from motion pictures. This compilation is comprised of both old and new mashups produced by me, known as ‘Voicedude’. Included are some of my oldest (from a decade ago) and seven new ones for the project. There are also a myriad of videos, many brand new for the project - even my first two attempts at making videos. I hope you enjoy this!

In particular, I’d also like to thank Keith ‘blybug’ Bly for his incredible artwork, and 'Bobby G’ Glasspie for his incredible videos  - with BOTH gentlemen stepping up in a moments notice! Many others have contributed as well...


NOTE: All works are not for profit and were posted for entertainment purposes only under Fair Use laws. No attempt has been or will be made to profit from these works. All rights belong to the original artists and labels.




- incredible cover art by 'Blybug’ -


DOWNLOAD THE FULL 20 TRACK CD W/ ARTWORK IN ONE FILE FROM HERE:

ALL TRACKS ARE INDIVIDUALLY PRESENTED HERE (and below):





  • 1: Pop Goes To The Movies [A medley of themes from 20th Century Fox Intro, Gone With The Wind, The Magnificent Seven, James Bond 007 (Thunderball), Goldfinger, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, & The Apartment] Mashed with bits of: Bruno Mars - “Marry You”, Bob Dylan - “Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man”, Johnny Cash - “Ring Of Fire”, Bob Seger - “Old Time Rock And Roll”, The Gorillaz - “Clint Eastwood”, Heart - “Barracuda”, KT Tunsall - “Black Horse & Cherry Tree”, & Rozalla - “Everybody’s Free (To Feel Good)”. It’s also my 2nd music video ever!
    2013

    Download available here:




    _____________________________________________



    2: Bond On The Floor
    Jennifer Lopez Vs. Paul Oakenfold 
    * JAMES BOND FILMS
    The oldest of the new ones and inspiration for this project. It started long ago with a cheesy video game version of the Theme my daughter gave me, and finally found it’s roots in the Oakenfold version. With an incredible video by Bobby G! 
    2013



    Download available here:



_____________________________________________


3: Bring Me Back To A Day In The Life 
Evanescence Vs. The Beatles 
* THE DAREDEVIL
My first attempt at a solo project was mostly a compilation of existing work, but this was a new one made as a tribute to the 40th Anniversary of The Beatles’ 'Sgt. Pepper’s'. With more great cover art by Blybug!
2007




Download available here:


audio, no video:


 _____________________________________________

4: Flying Across The Universe
Across The Universe OST Vs. itself 
* ACROSS THE UNIVERSE
I believe this movie was made as an apology for the film ‘Sgt. Peppers’. This cover of the Beatles’ only instrumental (and only song credited to all four) is ‘Flying’, over which I used bits of the covers of “Girl”, “Dear Prudence”, “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”, “Let It Be”, “Because”, “Come Together”, “Blue Jay Way”, & “I Am The Walrus”.
2007




Download available here:

audio, no video:


_____________________________________________

5. Mad Night
Maroon 5 Vs. Gary Jules 
* DONNIE DARKO
Another new one, inspired by that creepy, evil bunny (even scarier than the one in Monty Python & The Holy Grail)! Adam Levine can’t help but sound creeped out....
2013








Download available here:


audio, no video:

_____________________________________________


6. Everybody Wants To Be A Stray
Stray Cats Vs. Phil Harris & Scatman Crothers Vs. Hot Platinum Boyz 
* THE ARISTOCATS
I was thinking about all my work with Disney when I cam up with this. You can’t tell me this wasn’t a teeny case of Brian Setzer being 'George Harrison-inspired’ by the Disney cartoon classic tune.
2007





Download available here:


audio, no video:


_____________________________________________

7. Velvet Dreams
Bobby Vinton Vs. Roy Orbison 
* BLUE VELVET


Made for the incredible David Lynch Tribute, which I hear was played at his recent wedding! A creepy combination of two songs from the same movie. I actually used the original, as is tracks for this, followed by a barrage of every  ‘Gump Chocolates’ trick in the producer’s book! With a cool video by Reborn Identity.

2008


Download available here:

_____________________________________________



8. Forever Diamonds
Kanye West & Shirley Bassey Vs. Rihanna 
* DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER
What else could anybody possibly do with this Kanye instrumental? Just lucky that Ri-ri’s vocals were in the same key. So I added a bit more of Dame Bassey’s opener and... VIOLA! - a beautiful setting of three precious stones...
2013





Download available here:

audio, no video:


_____________________________________________


9. Everybody's Free On Brokeback Mountain
Quindon Tarver Vs. Gustavo Santaolalla 
* ROMEO + JULIET, BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
Another double movie tune mashup. Before I was privy to ‘real parts’, I used any acapella or instrumental I could get my hands on. The moving theme from Brokeback seemed to emotionally support young Tarver’s soaring vocals. A very difficult matchup, considering the very different time signatures...
2005

Download available here:

audio, no video:

_____________________________________________

10. I'm The Man In Black
Johnny Cash Vs. Will Smith 
* MEN IN BLACK
Probably the first mashup I made that got any attention. Shame there wasn’t a better vocal from Johnny, but still a great example of how mashups succeed despite some very different sources. With a great video by Gonzo Jam!
2004

Download available here:




_____________________________________________

11. Kung Fu Battle
Carl Douglas Vs. Tomoyasu Hotei 
* KILL BILL VOL. 1 + others
When I released a Kung Fu Fighting double shot, I was inspired to release them as a pair - the same way Tarantino did with his Grindhouse movies - my second being one using his own film’s iconic theme music. With another great cover art by Blybug and a brand new video; perhaps Bobby G's best video ever!
2008

Download available here:




_____________________________________________

12. Another Song For Mama
Boyz II Men Vs. Genesis 
* SOUL FOOD
Originally one of a pair of Mother’s Day gifts for dear old mom, I asked Bobby G to make a video tribute to her this Mother’s Day when she finally lost her battle to ovarian cancer last year. I’ve loved this Boyz II Men song from the instant I heard it used in the film.
2008

Download available here:


_____________________________________________


13. Big Bad John Shaft
Isaac Hayes Vs. Jimmie Dean 
* SHAFT
This is an idea that’s been just sitting on my computer for over two years waiting for me to finish it. Once again using just the original, as is tracks followed by those tricks and a whole lot of tedious editing. Apparently, neither song was recorded to a click track. I’m just sayin’...
Not much I could do, video-wise, so on my third video, I had a little fun.....
2013




Download available here:


_________________________________________________


14. The Triplets Of Will-ville
Triplets Of Belleville Theme Vs. Will Smith 
* TRIPLETES OF BELLEVILLE 
The oldest one on the list! Very inspired by this quaint french animated film to remix the theme song, I ended up mashing it with parts of Smith’s 'Miami’ club remix. Made before I had even fully discovered the mashup scene...
2003



Download available here:

audio, no video:


____________________________________________

15. 28 Miles Later 
Eminem Vs. John Murphy 
* 8 MILE, 28 DAYS LATER, 28 WEEKS LATER
Yet another double movie tune mashup (both from 2002), & another inspiration while I was still sitting in the movie theater watching the sequel. I was actually hearing Marshall’s Oscar winning song in my head as I listened to this haunting theme intensify. With an equally chilling video by AeKon!
2007


Download available here:


                           

____________________________________________


16. The Good, Bad, & Ugly In The Air
Hugo Montenegro Vs. Phil Collins 
* THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY
I have to admit: This one is actually MADE by the video! It’s not that this, my first attempt at a music video for my own work, is the best video ever. It’s more because these visuals help support the ‘impending doom’ tone they both share. Consider, too, that this iconic closing scene is originally three times longer before I edited it down!
2013

Download available here:




____________________________________________



17. What Is Dancing?
Haddaway Vs. Bee Gees Vs. Young M.C. 
* SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, A NIGHT AT THE ROXBURY, +++
A perfect blend of the dance moves and styles of the 70s, 80s, and 90s. One movie BEGAN a song’s popularity, while another was made BECAUSE of a song’s popularity (and the TV skit), and the third heard in such films as Up in the Air, You Me & Dupree, Dude Where's My Car?, The Replacements, & Uncle Buck. Dance to the video by VJ Magic Man.
2013

Download available here:



____________________________________________



18. Don't Stop My Heart (video version)
Journey Vs. Celine Dion 
* TITANIC


An order of double cheese, especially for the 100th Anniversary of the sinking of the RMS Titanic. This is the audio that was used in the video version, not previously released. With yet another great video from Bobby G! 
2012


Download available here:

Video also available here:



____________________________________________



19. It's Good To Be The Hotstepper
Mel Brooks Vs. Ini Kamoze 
* HISTORY OF THE WORLD Pt 1, READY TO WEAR (Prêt-à-Porter)
The oldest of the new ones and inspiration for this project. It started long ago with a cheesy video game version of the Bond Theme my daughter gave me, and finally found it’s roots in the Oakenfold version.
2012

Download available here:


audio, no video:


____________________________________________

20. The Sky Must Fall On
Queen Vs. Adele 
* SKYFALL, MOULIN ROUGE
My own remake of a mashup originally conceived by Jules Tobias, this version goes where his couldn’t - since the parts weren’t available at that time. A match of two powerhouse vocalists! With yet another video by Bobby G (thanx, man!) 
2013


Download available here:

 

_____________________________________________
_____________________________________________




BONUS: Space Bug
Royksopp Vs. Destiny’s Child 
* VARIOUS SCI FI SPACE EPICS

Neither song is connected to a film in any way I know of, but when running with the title of ’Space Bug’ (an amalgamation of both source titles, as usual) we went for a hard core Sci Fi approach in the video. At forty minutes before 5 PM (or any time, really!), feel free to enjoy this mind bending video by stage reverend & see how many you recognize.
2010



COMMENTS ARE MY ONLY PAYMENT FOR MY MUSICAL EXPRESSIONS, SO PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON MY HARD WORK, AND ALSO FEEL FREE TO SHARE MY WORKS WITH FRIENDS, AND FINALLY SHARE THE GIFT OF MUSIC BY SUPPORTING THE ORIGINAL ARTISTS!

Thanx!

- the 'dude











3 comments:

  1. VD your mashups are LEGENDARY, thanx for sharing, will play these at the next ADJ get together, and here at work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx so much for your support!
    But please don’t call me ‘VD’ - it gives the ladies a false impression.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awersome joel nice works from Gab trucker

    ReplyDelete